Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/thaitrad/public_html/articles/common.php on line 16
The Department of Export Promotion (DEP), Ministry of Commerce is the main agency responsible for promoting Thailandís exports to the world market, bolstering foreign revenue, which will contribute to the countryís socio-economic prosperity. The DEPís vision is therefore, to be the leader in creating foreign trade revenue for the countryís economic prosperity and growth.
As international trade, facilitated by modern technology continues to evolve rapidly, relevant government agencies must constantly adjust their roles to keep pace. Responding to the export policies of the Thai government and those of the Ministry of Commerce, which is responsible for providing leadership in spurring both domestic and international trade, DEP has developed an efficient, responsive operation that stimulates the stable growth of exports through the private sector for well-being of the Thai public.
One major role of DEP is to foster the development of the competitive capabilities of Thai companies and businesses by organizing activities and events that create opportunities to increase exports, DEP pursues a marketing strategy that helps Thai businesses reach their target groups by means of such activities as organizing trade shows in Thailand, participating in international trade fairs, organizing Thailand Exhibitions and Thailand Outlet events overseas, leading trade delegations and supporting joint promotions with foreign department stores.
DEP also has the additional and important role of explaining the philosophy of the sufficiency economy to the private sector and how it applies to international trade. Based on the principles of moderation, sufficiency, and common sense, it entails being knowledgeable, circumspect, and cautious in planning and in operations with constant regard for fairness to achieve balanced and secure responses to the rapid, wide-ranging changes in the economy, society, and the environment.
Every unit of DEP, encompassing headquarters and the five domestic regional offices, as well as the 56 overseas offices, share the mission of achieving the export targets for Thai goods and services through effective coordination and prompt, efficient assistance in solving problems and overcoming obstacles to government agencies and to the private sector.
Several important strategies that need to be undertaken include :
- Utilize marketing strategies to maintain exports of Thaiís products and services to existing markets while increasing exports to new markets.
- Develop and promote new Thai service businesses to be competitive as well as develop an efficient information system to facilitate business contacts.
- Raise Thailandís status as a trading nation by supporting and encouraging Thai businesses to expand overseas through franchising, opening of overseas branches (internationalization), foreign investment, business network expansion as well as supporting the establishment by the private sector of international trade marts.
- Strengthen Thailandís position within ASEAN by promoting mutual investment and increasing integration at both private and government levels with the aim of fostering cooperation in areas of product and technological development as well as cooperation within each countryís service businesses.
- Increase Thailandís export competitiveness by developing trade logistics to reduce investment costs and to streamline export processes.
- Bolster Thailandís readiness toward the future free trade market by creating a stable export foundation through development of provincial manufacturer capabilities particularly Small and Medium Enterprises (SME), and domestic products.